The intensive mining activity of the Middle Ages disrupted the underground water sources in Kutná Hora, which resulted in the town being short of drinking water. This problem was solved in 1495 by the construction of a dodecagon-shaped stone fountain on today‘s Rejsek Square. The fountain, which was originally roofed, served as a water reservoir, into which drinking water was brought via wooden piping from the spring of St Adalbert near Bylany 2.5 kilometers away. The town continued to be supplied with drinking water in this way until 1890. The dodecagon-shaped Late Gothic stone fountain was probably the work of the builder Briccius Gauske of Wroclaw.