Church of the Holy Trinity
The Church of the Holy Trinity was probably built in the second decade of the 15th century. It was initially surrounded by a metal workers‘ settlement. At the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries, it was thoroughly repaired and rebuilt in a Late Gothic style at the cost of the mining entrepreneur Jan Smíšek of Vrchoviště and his son Kryštof. At this time, a presbytery was added to the church, which was probably missing from the original building (as was the case with the tower). The church served as the family‘s funeral chapel upon Jan Smíšek death in 1501.
The church was abandoned as early as the second half of 16th century and for a time even served as the town‘s gunpowder storage facility. In burned down in 1817. It was not until the end of the 19th century that major restoration work was performed on the church, overseen by Ludvík Lábler. The church is built on a square floor plan, to the east of which is attached a polygonal presbytery and to the west a prism-shaped tower. The tower is adorned with a relief of the coat of arms of the Smíšek family (unicorn), emblem of mining owners‘ guild and a relief depicting miners working in a mine.
The church is rightly considered a small architectural pearl. Its simple exterior hides a very impressive Late Gothic interior. Three naves are separated from each other by slender cylindrical pillars, out of which springs an elegant cross vault, which has kept its original character from the time of Wenceslas IV.
In the presbytery we can admire the seven-metre shrine with typical Jagellonian Gothic features. It dates back to the period of Smíšek’s reconstruction and is probably the work of master Briccius Gauske of Görlitz.
Services are held at the church on Trinity Sunday (the first Sunday after Easter).
Římskokatolická farnost – arciděkanství Kutná Hora
Infocentrum u chrámu sv. Barbory
Barborská 685, 284 01 Kutná Hora
Tel.: +420 327 515 796